Monday, February 20, 2012

The Streets Are Paved With Corn

How does one adequately respond to Michael Pollan’s, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma”? Pollan evokes a sense of urgency that has left me unsure of what to do next. So, all of these things are wrong with our food, our nation, our environment, and the world. What exactly am I supposed to do about it? I’m sure he will get to that later, but I can’t help feeling somewhat impatient when faced with the very dilemma his book is titled after. Let’s just say it’s a bigger dilemma than standing in front of my closet in the morning and trying to find something to wear.

I am a very conscious eater. I like to know where my food has come from, and I prefer to buy organically when I can afford to. I am not one for processed foods, but if I am craving something, I usually don’t hold back. Everyone has their favorites. Oreos and peanut butter: that’s where it’s at. Or Blizzards. I have mad love for Blizzards. Girl Scout Cookies? They’re like crack. Don’t tell me your not addicted to Thin Mints. For goodness sakes one of my favorite foods is pancakes (don’t even get me started on banana pancakes), and man, can I cook up a good pancake. That takes some skill in my mind. For these reasons, I don’t really consider myself a health freak, but I do care about where my food is coming from and how it is impacting others and this planet.

Naturally, I am more prone to lean towards eating healthier foods, since they give me more energy and taste better. When I became a vegetarian a few years back, I did so after doing a lot of research. This wasn’t an “I don’t eat my dog, so why would I eat a chicken?” kind of decision. In some ways—yes—I was advocating for animal rights. But it was so much more than that. It was a lifestyle choice that could impact the world in a really small, teeny-weeny, itty-bitty, diminutive way. But I was sixteen and I was making a statement. So I went with it.

I’ve learned a lot since then. I’m not a vegetarian anymore, but I am still very conscious of where my meat comes from. Growing up, my dad had antlers hanging on our living room wall. Yes, antlers. It horrifies me more now than it did then. But I love that side of nature, the part where we hunt our own meat and appreciate where it came from. It’s much more intimate and meaningful than a hamburger from McDonalds that is only 15% real beef. My dad is a Colorado native and goes hunting almost every season. I love a good steak or hamburger. I’m crazy for ribs. I’ve tried almost every animal that walks, stalks, fly’s, and is hunted in Colorado. I love living out in the west and being so close to nature. It really provides you with a new perspective and makes you think about what you are eating.

So where am I going with all of this? I’m not sure. I’m hoping that Michael Pollan can help me out with that one. This book makes me depressed, angry, and sad, yet it also makes me hopeful for change. I’m overwhelmingly impressed with his amount of detail, starting back to the start of not only humanity, but also to the roots of nature and the progress of civilization, whether it is good or bad progress. I hate that things are like this today, I really do. But now I want to change them, even if it’s just one small step at a time. Right now, all I can do is yell out “I hate corn!” to my housemates while reading this book and mumble about how it is even in my toothpaste. But what will I do tomorrow? What will we all do tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. First of all, let me just say I have a box of Thin Mints in my freezer right now! I totally agree, I am super conscious of what I eat but when I'm craving something I don't hold back either. I also love that you had antlers in your living room. My family has never been one to hunt or fish, but I think it is really cool that you are that much more connected with your meat. It makes a big difference I would imagine. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete